This is one of the 5 Ford Ka Kit Car’s built by Ford Motorsport at Boreham for the “Carlos Sainz Junior Team by Ford” back in 2001. These cars were rallied by Ford of Spain during 2001 to 2003 seasons as a first step to bring joung promises (including the late F1 driver Maria de Villota) to the rally scene and climb through the ladder. They were run alongside the Ford Focus WRC in the Spanish championship (won twice by Carlos Sainz Junior team driver Txus Jaio). They were occasionally used for some celebrities at certain events too, like Jordi Tarrés (7 times World Motorbike Trial Chamipion) or Jordi Arcarons (6 times podium finisher in Dakar)
Specifications to include Proflex suspension all round, close ratio gearbox (using Ford Puma parts) with 4,65:1 CWP and LSD, an upgraded 1.3 engine with around 100hp (a big difference from the 60hp of the std version), etc. Preparation was not only focused on performance but also (and mainly) on reliability, incorporating motorsport engine mountings, a proper supmguard as well as a tank guard, an auxilary motorsport wiring loom, carbon foot rests, lamp pod, etc.
This car number “2” (they were numbered from 1 to 5) and is completelly original, not being rallied since 2003 and preserved in its original condition. It retains the stickers, Ford Racing seats, etc. It looks great and is in very good overall condition.
These cars were very well built by Ford Motorsport and maintained at no expense spared. They are very fun to drive and very reliable/easy to maintain too. A good candidate for a Ford Motorsport oriented collection or rally/demonstration events where I’m sure it will attract lots of attention and will allow the driver a stress free rally and pre-rally event!
Detailed spec as follows:
- Unitary construction fitted with a Safety Devices roll cage.
- Aluminium sump shield and fuel tank guard.
- Front Strut brace.
- Sparco – Ford Racing seats, 6 point wide seat belts, automatic fire extinguishers.
- Carbon fibre co-driver foot rest and driver clutch foot rest.
- 1.3 L Endura-E 8 valve with multi-point fuel injection.
- Revised camshaft.
- Bigger inlet valves.
- Ported head.
- Compression ratio increased.
- Special fuel injectors.
- 4 branch exhaust manifold.
- Special exhaust system.
- Lightened flywheel.
- FordRallyeSport reprogrammed ECU.
- Uprated engine mounts.
- IB 5 speed transmission with Ford Puma gear ratios.
- 4.65:1 Final drive ratio.
- Limited Slip Differential
- Ford Puma gearshift (quick shift).
- Adjustable rate Proflex dampers front and rear.
- Control springs Proflex 40nm front and 17nm rear..
- 62 mm. Springs and adjustable platforms.
- Modified front suspension lower arms with spherical bearings fitted.
- Increased camber on front (incorporated on dampers)
- Reinforced rear beam with spacers and nylon bushes fitted.
- Special homologated ventilated discs and calipers at front.
- Drum brakes at the rear with bigger cylinders.
- Front/rear split brake circuits.
- Brake pressure adjusting valve fitted in rear brake circuit.
- Stainless steel braided brake pipes.
- Hydraulic hand brake, vertical position.
- Standard power steering with 2.9 turns lock-to-lock.
- Sparco steering wheel.
- Steering lock disabled.
Wheels / tyres:
- Speedline 6” X 14” wheels.
- Pirelli tyres: 160.560.14” on tarmac and 165.70 X 14 on gravel.
- Battery master switch with external pull cable.
- Optional map light.
- Water temperature gauge.
- Optional 4 – light bonnet mounted pod.
- Fuses and relays relocated into the cockpit on a carbon fibre console.